KSI XY’ANS DAY CARE HEAD START
"Ksi Xy’ans Daycare Head Start provides Nisga’a yuuhlimk’askw for children, parents, families, and community with quality child care, unconditional love, spirituality and education through Sayt-K’ilim Goot.”We serve our community as a preschool, with programs for children aged 3 to 5 years, a licensed daycare facility for children aged 0 to 12 years, and we also provide afterschool care.
- We believe in education and empowering our children, our families and ourselves through support, guidance, kwhilxoosa’anskw (respect) and understanding.
- We recognize that the first 6 years are critical to the development of a child’s future socially, emotionally, physically, spiritually and cognitively.
- We believe that children have the right to be unique individuals and are entitled to safe environments and opportunities that foster interdependence and dignity.
- We believe it takes "Our community to raise a child and we commit to the teachings of the Ayuuk (Nisga’a Law), language, culture, values, the ganwilxo’oskw (wisdom) of our Elders, the common bowl and Sayt k’ilim goot (Unity).
Ksi Xy'ans Daycare Head Start (formerly Nursery Program)
- Nisga’a Programs and Services Act (Part Seven – Education Programs; S.21 Sub. 1, 2, 3, 4)
- The Nisga’a Final Agreement is a treaty within the meaning of section 21 of the Constitution Act 1982, and came into effect on May 11, 2000. Accordingly the Nisga’a Nursery Program operates under the authority of the Programs and Services Directorate of the Nisga’a Lisims Government.
Day Care Program
- Laxgalts’ap Village Government was instrumental in accessing capital funding to build the new Laxgalts’ap Nursery School in 1998/99. From there began the creation of a Daycare Program to meet the needs of working parents in our community. The overwhelming numbers of children enrolled for both the preschool program and daycare program gave us reason to apply for an extension to our building which now operates as the Ksi Xy’ans Daycare Head Start Program.
Through the years we have developed a unique program for daycare / preschool and continue to have many successes at the Ksi Xy’ans Daycare Head Start including record numbers of participation and increased programming.
Laxgalts’ap Village Government employs 5 qualified/licensed staff at Ksi Xy’ans Daycare Head Start.
The Laxgalts’ap Village Government Employee Policy Manual guides the operations of the Centre.
External Funding Sources are accessed to provide adequate social support to our families and we wish to be comfortable with the current funding and staffing levels
Our centre frequently accepts Practicum Students from Northwest Community College and Youth Employment programs from Laxgalts’ap and surrounding communities.
Ksi Xy'ans Programs
KDHS team work at their fullest potential and have created an environment that nurtures children, parents, families and community. As an early learning center, we provide the following:
- Morning/Afternoon Preschool
- Daycare September - August, Monday - Friday
- Weekly Big Buddy Reading with Alvin. A. McKay grade 6/7 students
- Imagination Library Book Club
- Pre and Post Natal Programs
- Moms, Pops & Tots monthly luncheon and weekly drop in
- Welcome Baby Bags
- Honorary Daycare and Preschool
- Lending Library (Resources, books, developmental toys)
- Field Trips (Annual Auditory Testing for 3/ 4 and 5’s, Salmon Berry Fair)
- Speech and Language Pathology Screenings
- Aboriginal Supported Child Development Referrals/Services
- Parenting programs
- SD #92 – Ready Set, Learn, Welcome to Kindergarten
- Buddy reading with AAMMES grad 6/7 students
Program Social Support
- School District 92
- Nisga’a Infant Development Program
- Nisga’a Aboriginal Supported Child Development Program
- Nisga’a Child & Family Services
- Nisga’a Valley Health Reps
- Community Wellness Committee
- Laxgalts’ap Village Government Human Resources
- Speech Language Pathologist
Ksi Xy’ans DCHS enhances the lives of children, parents, families and the community by providing a caring, flexible, inclusive, diverse and vital community service.